There were hardly any Protestant families in Hövelhof before the Second World War. After the war, the number increased due to the arrival of many who remained. St. John's Church was built and consecrated in 1957. The Protestant parish became independent in 1982. Until then, it belonged to the parish of Schloss Neuhaus. Five reliefs by the Paderborn artist Rikus have found a new home in the parish hall after the old cemetery chapel was demolished. The reliefs depict Christ and the four evangelists.